[Wikipedia-l] I'm "published!" Anyone else care about Great Books?

Tim Chambers tbchambers at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 1 14:35:04 UTC 2002

Yesterday was my   4 0 t h   b i r t h d a y. [1] So what a pleasing
gift it was that K5 saw fit to publish to the Culture section a
tribute to Mortimer Adler that I wrote. It was based on edits I
made to Adler's 'pedia article!

Here's the intro the the article [2].  I'd love to hear from
'pedia list members in the K5 comments section.

    Friday, June 28th marked the first anniversary of the passing
    of Mortimer Adler, founder of the Great Books program, so it
    is fitting to enter into a discussion about what should be on
    a list of the absolute best books to read...and why.  Then
    there are the related questions, such as: why did Adler see
    fit to declare a "canon" of great books in the first place?

[1] but I don't want search engines to reveal that fact. :-)
[2] http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/6/30/10131/1418