[Wikipedia-l] Re: Suggestion to promote readability of hyperlinked documents.

Richard Grevers dramatic at xtra.co.nz
Tue Dec 31 21:42:30 UTC 2002

On 31 Dec 2002 19:59:00 +0100, Erik Moeller
<erik_moeller=Mmb7MZpHnFY at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> I disagree.  On the web, a standard blue underline that turns purple
>> after you visit it is simple and instantly recognizable.
>
> Blue underlined, yes; purple is almost used nowhere these days. CNN,
> Yahoo, Amazon, eBay etc. all don't use it. So the expecation isn't there.
> Blue underlined vs. blue is not such a big difference as to be confusing,
>
> and we *are* a very link-heavy site.

To add to the dilemma, Wikipedia has to distinguish between three different
classes of link:
*Wikipedia article
*Non existant Wikipedia Article
*External link
and only for the second of these is Visited status not important. Thus
there need to be five distinct link designations.

Most useability guidelines suggest that visited links should have a less
distinctive marking than unvisited. I tend to use "closer to grey/black" as
less distinctive, e.g. the two link colours for external links ought to
have the same hue (green) but different saturation or lightness/darkness.
I currently find the red to be a little strong (giving missing articles too
much visual weight) and the green a little weak. (using the cologne blue
stylesheet).

With respect to underlining, thought might be given to the following
markup, which will result in a less intrusive underline in good browsers
(IE, unfortunately, still renders dotted as solid):
a.whatever {text-decoration:none; border-bottom: 1px dotted #ddeeff;} (I've
used an arbitrary colour and class here). This also avoids problems where
some browser/font combinations result in underlines striking out the bottom
pixel-row of descenders, which impairs redability.

--
Richard Grevers