[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia page encoding

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Dec 30 21:41:16 UTC 2002

On lun, 2002-12-30 at 13:11, Richard Grevers wrote:
> While you're about it, is there a concensus on the best encoding to use on general
> pages? 8859-15 ensures no problems should people use the likes of a Euro symbol in
> an article. Most definitions I've seen describe 8859-15 as "intended to replace
> 8859-1".

ISO 8859-15 does not cover a number of characters that ISO 8859-1 does,
so I would heartily not recommend it.

Once conversion support for older, Unicode-broken browsers (wouldn't
trust them to do ISO 8859-15 either) is set up, the remaining Latin-1
sections of Wikipedia will move to UTF-8 (as Meta-Wikipedia, Wiktionary,
and many of the language sections of Wikipedia are already) so that
links and text are all in a compatible format.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)