[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia page encoding

Richard Grevers dramatic at xtra.co.nz
Mon Dec 30 19:06:20 UTC 2002

Hi again,

I attempted to submit a sample Wkipedia page to the W3C validator and was
amzaed to see that carried no character encoding whatsoever. Here is the
full report from the validator -

I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of the
valid sources for such information. Without encoding information it is
impossible to validate the document. The sources I tried are: The HTTP
Content-Type field.
The XML Declaration.
The HTML "META" element.

And I even tried to autodetect it using the algorithm defined in Appendix F
of the XML 1.0 Recommendation. Since none of these sources yielded any
usable information, I will not be able to validate this document. Sorry.
Please make sure you specify the character encoding in use. IANA maintains
the list of official names for character sets. ----
<end quote>
Surely Wikipedia ought to use an encoding such as UTF-8?
--
Richard Grevers