[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Recent Changes hack, part 2

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at epost.de
Wed Dec 18 20:45:37 UTC 2002

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Gareth Owen wrote:
>

>>Magnus Manske <magnus.manske at epost.de> writes:
>>

>>>It is degined for decent browsers only ;-)
>>>

>>Then undesign it.  Well written HTML degrades well.
>>

>I agree.  We could do statistics from the site to see how many of each
>older browser, blah blah blah, but it's really better to just make
>sure we degrade gracefully for all browsers.

I think there's been a misunderstanding (actually not on my part, this
one time;-)

I have no intention of *replacing* the Recent Changes page completely
with my version. It uses JavaScript and dynamic HTML, which are not
supported by many browsers, at least not to the extend that is required
for that drop-down feature I am (and was) fully aware of that. That's
why I plan to make it a user option, or a browser detection (as Pierre
suggested), or a combination of both.

What got me a little enraged was the "work smarter, not harder"-type
reply above (Dilbert readers will know what I mean;-). It implies that
the same effect (drop-down, and maybe others to follow) could be
achieved to work for all browsers. Gareth, if you know how to do that
for a non-DHTML, non-JavaScript browser, without any plug-ins, you're
very welcome to write it, and I'll implement it at once. Otherwise, I
suggest you restrain yourself from wise-guy remarks.

I'm not sure why this bothers me so much. Maybe I'm overreacting. Then,
maybe not.

Magnus