[Wikipedia-l] Re: Mark's moderation compromise

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Sat Dec 14 00:03:58 UTC 2002

Ed Poor wrote in part:

>Anyone who wants to participate on a moderated English-language list, to
>discuss the English Wikipedia, is welcome. All others are still free to post
>to wikipedia-l which will remain unmoderated. Those who like their scum or
>slush or whatever unfiltered will still get plenty this way.

>What could possibly be wrong with such an experiment?

What could be wrong is described in your big paragraph above.
People may well go to <wikipedia-l> to discuss [[en:]] specifically,
which is not what <wikipedia-l> is for -- we already have enough problems.
I am about to make a post in which I consent to trying this experiment,
but I think it would work best to combine it with an outlet
that sends out an unfiltered version of <wikien-l> --
the Gmane idea sounds like it would work for this.
We don't need to increase the [[en:]] on <wikipedia-l>.

-- Toby