[Wikipedia-l] search and dangling links just the same

Claude Chaunier claude.chaunier at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 12 13:57:34 UTC 2002

When I follow some link to 'thingumajib' in a text
mentioning it and I'm offered to write an article about
it because it doesn't exist yet, I am not first offered
a list of articles that match it and that might indeed
be the wanted article under another title.

Why wouldn't I? I could even be told something like:
"The page you come from pointed to an article that
doesn't exist yet in Wikipedia, at least under the
suggested title. You might consider writing it! Or if
you find out it does indeed exist in the following
list of close matches, please click here so that we
create an automatic redirection link."

When I search for 'thingumajib' and am told no
article matches that word, I am not naturally
offered to write down an article about it. Why
wouldn't I?

Hence I suggest to make searches and links to absent
articles just the same and join the nice features of
the two.

What do you think about it?

It might also help to solve an argument I'm developing
on wikipedia talk: Naming conventions (pluralization).

Cheers
Claude