[Wikipedia-l] Moderation

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Dec 12 11:10:39 UTC 2002

Erik Moeller wrote:
> 1) How will the moderation be set up? If there are several moderators,
> will the first to approve or reject a post make the decision, or will
> moderation decisions have to made in consensus, or by majority rule?

By the nature of the software, the only practical way to do it would
be to have the moderators log into the website and process things.  If
a moderator felt that a post was borderline, he or she could just
leave it in the queue, rather than accepting or rejecting, but if the
moderator does reject or accept, then that's that -- as far as the
software is concerned, anyway.

It's fun and cute to imagine a process whereby 2 moderators have to
blackball a post before it's really rejected, or similar, but
realistically, it'd be too much work to program that, when simple trust
and kindness are so much more powerful.

Probably what should happen is that all rejected posts receive a
message saying that if they want to appeal, to forward the post to an
alias, which goes to all the moderators plus me.  Also good would be
for all rejected posts to go separately to all the moderators plus
me, thus inducing some peer pressure for moderators to do the right
thing.

--Jimbo