[Wikipedia-l] Where to put acknowledgements

Jan Hidders hidders at uia.ua.ac.be
Wed Aug 21 09:59:04 UTC 2002

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 11:09:53AM +0200, Krzysztof P. Jasiutowicz wrote:

> I feel that it wouldn't be proper for Wikipedia to give credits and
> acknowledgements on article pages themselves. It wouldn't be Wikiwiki.

Au contraire! WikiWiki is also about community building and as the biggest
kid on the block Wikipedia has a certain responsibility here. The more
interlinked the open-content sites are, the better it is. And as Axel
already said, it is simply a matter of common courtesy: treat others as you
would like them to treat you.

> After a time there can be very little left from the original source
> and it would be just misleading to state "it is based on...".
> It will be a nuisance to find out when it is Wikipedia's rather than
> the original author.

Why would you want to? Even if the original version only served as
scaffolding for the current article, I still feel a link on the page would
be warranted.

> Either we should create a separate acknowledgement page or we should work
> out some mechanism for including a short note in the header or foot of
> pages.

Hmm. As long as it shows up in the article itself. We might even have a
little pull-down menu on the edit pages with all the open-content sources
that have given explicit permission.

-- Jan Hidders