[Wikipedia-l] New e-mail feature

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Wed Aug 21 08:02:41 UTC 2002

I generally haven't been announcing software updates and fixes,
but this one's important enough to merit it, I think:

I implemented the "e-mail this user" feature.  Most of you
won't notice, and it won't be very useful at first because most
people don't have their e-mail addresses filled in, but I hope
that will change as more people start using this.

If you are logged in and have a valid e-mail address in your
own user settings, and you are viewing a user page, you will see
an "E-mail this user" link right below "User contributions".
Click on it and fill in the form, and mail will be sent to that
user.  That user's address will not be revealed to you, but your
e-mail address will appear in the "From" line of the message you
send, so that the recipient can reply.  There's a new user
setting to opt out of receiving these mails even if you do enter
an e-mail address.