[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia searching

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Fri Aug 16 20:41:49 UTC 2002

>> Could the search feature be changed such that common words,
>> rather than blocking the whole search, are removed from it
>> (provided that there are also non-common words in the search)?
>> What I mean is having the search "kermit the frog" get out the
>> same effect as "kermit frog" rather than none at all.

> I would like that, too.

I'm sure everyone would, which is why it has been an open feature
request in Sourceforge since the day the software was installed.
I initially resisted because it would require copying all of MySQL's
stoplist into the PHP code, but I suppose with the cache that it might
not be much of a performance hit, so I'll do it and see.