[Wikipedia-l] Junking Spanish Wikipedia?

Axel Boldt axel at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Aug 13 20:59:55 UTC 2002

The Enciclopedia libre at http://enciclopedia.us.es/ is much larger
and more active than the Spanish Wikipedia at http://es.wikipedia.com/
(in fact, it is by a large margin the biggest non-English free
encyclopedia and the third largest wiki in the world).

I think we should junk our Spanish Wikipedia, provide a link to their
site on our main page (they probably don't like to be called
Wikipedia, so we could simply say "non-English sister projects") and
have our interwiki links point to them rather then to the Spanish
Wikipedia.

And if we ask nicely, we may even get a link back to wikipedia.com.

Axel

P.S. I would assume that over time, other international Wikpedias will
prefer to operate out of their own countries, to improve connection
speeds and gain more contol, and I don't see anything wrong with that.