[Wikipedia-l] Easton's Bible Dictionary

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu
Tue Aug 13 01:17:44 UTC 2002

Lee <(?) wrote:

>? wrote:

>>Should [[Easton's Bible Dictionary (1897)]] contain a list of
>>all the created topics? That would reduce the orphans list a lot...

>No, they should be orphans; because that's what they really are
>until some human being comes in to edit them and link them into
>the rest of the site.

I agree.  The purpose of the orphans list is not to be small;
if that were our goal, Lee could easily code it to be perpetually empty.
The purpose is to give us information stating that certain articles
aren't going to be found by people just reading through the website,
and that will still (probably) be true if they're link from
[[Easton's Bible Dictionary (1897)]].  (Why click on something
just because it's in a long list of articles that we copied
from an 1897 encyclopaedia?)

Indeed, that so many of these articles are orphans merely shows
that many of them probably shouldn't exist (at this stage of
the development of Wikipedia, that is; we'll want them *eventually*).
IMO.

-- Toby Bartels
   <toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu>