[Wikipedia-l] diff on recent changes

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Mon Aug 12 23:50:38 UTC 2002

>> That bug has already been reported.  It's just a pain to fix,
>> and I'm working on other implementations of the "Recent Changes"

> I was thinking about what it would take to build a website where
> a wiki is just one of the components.  Other components might be
> a weblog, a bugzilla, a part with read-only web pages, etc.  You
> would still want a single "recent changes" page for all these
> parts.  All it takes is a standardized RC log file format (or
> database table) to which all components can add a line (or record)
> when an update is made.  Since each component could use different
> methods to present a diff, the most general and flexible approach
> would be to let one field of the RC log format be a complete URL
> to the diff.  Just an idea.

And an interesting one.  The implementation I'm working on now does
have a "recent changes" database table separate from the wiki tables
themselves, so it would be easy to extend at some point to add other
information sources into it.  Unfortunately, the major problem at
the moment is handling information overload, finding better ways to
filter the information that is already too much for human bandwidth.