[Wikipedia-l] Collaborative, up-to-the-minute construction of

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Aug 12 22:54:49 UTC 2002

lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:
> things, that never happened and never will.  The year pages should
> report on what actually did happen.

Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, "1. The world is all
that is the case."  Did the worry "happen" or not?  Do Americans
suddenly drive with US flags sticking out of their car windows, like
some nationalist fanatics?  Is that an event or just a sentiment?
Does it in fact help the US govt to launch a war on Iraq?  Maybe we
shouldn't get too deep into this.  "7. What we cannot speak about we
must pass over in silence."  But seeing this with my own eyes on a
recent visit to NYC sure helps me understand what's going on.  Wish I
could have been in Berlin in 1936, when that people were waving their
flags like crazy.  Wittgenstein could have, but I think he stayed in
England.  How many toes did I step on now?  Ouch.

Media reporting does have an effect on the real world, which is why I
think media reporting _is_ an event.

http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Manufacturing_Consent_--_The_Political_Economy_of_the_Mass_Media
http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Tractatus_Logico-Philosophicus

--