[Wikipedia-l] Making redirects out of bad page names

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Mon Aug 12 22:20:36 UTC 2002

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Exactly!  The [[06-05]] alone was taken out of context.  The redirects
> allow the ISO long format to work, and at most there will only be 366
> such redirects.  Multiple ways of doing things can be great, if you
> keep a few things in mind.
>    1. Don't expect anybody else to do things your way.
>    2. It is grossly impolite to change anybody else's work in an
> article to fit your way of doing things.
>    3. Make the necessary redirects or other adaptations that will
> allow your way to function in a context of Wikipedia orthodoxy.

I think on dates we should be strict on a single house style. The
established formats for dates are:
[[June 6]]
[[June 6]], [[1980]]
the [[1980s]]
the [[19th century]]

It would be cleaner if all dates were edited to look like one of those.
Adding redirects to suit everyone's taste will be confusing.