[Wikipedia-l] Trolling

Michael R. Irwin mri_icboise at surfbest.net
Sat Aug 10 01:12:04 UTC 2002

Tonight I received this message:

>             Date:
>                  Fri, 9 Aug 2002 11:19:28 -0700 (PDT)
>             From:
>                  Larry Sanger <lsanger at nupedia.com>
>               To:
>                  <mri_icboise at surfbest.net>
>                  8003
>

> I'd just like to point out cheerfully that indeed nearly everyone seems to
> be successfully ignoring your latest attempt at trolling, despite lie
> after lie after lie so tempting to refute.  :-)

to which I responded:

>                          00000000
>                     Date:
>                          Fri, 09 Aug 2002 17:05:07 -0700
>                    From:
>                          "Michael R. Irwin" <mri_icboise at surfbest.net>
>                          en,pdf
>                       To:
>                          Larry Sanger <lsanger at nupedia.com>
>                          Re:
>                          7bit
>

> Larry Sanger wrote:
> >
> > I'd just like to point out cheerfully that indeed nearly everyone seems to
> > be successfully ignoring your latest attempt at trolling, despite lie
> > after lie after lie so tempting to refute.  :-)
>
> On the contrary, there seems to be a natural ongoing dialogue
> that naturally fades out when no one has anything substantial to
> add and resumes with new talking points.
>
> Toby has pointed out that retroactive application of newly
> formulated policy may not among be our best options in
> self governance.   This may protect you should influential
> people get tired of people shouting troll or other
> unsubstantiated allegations.
>
> A simple public apology for an unwarranted public attack might
> go a long ways towards reestablishing your credibility as one
> of the project's founders.
>
> Have you thought about whether it is truly a fallacy to attack
> the arguer rather than the argument?
>
> Would you care to publicly quote the "lies" as a basis for discussion?
>
> regards, mirwin

I find it bit disturbing to be receiving emails self
alleged to be associated with Nupedia.com and Bomis which are
obviously intended to be inflammatory.

If we are to remain a successful anarchy ruled only occasionally
by an owner informed by public opinion then I think it is
important that public opinion be at least somewhat informed
to encourage good government.

Is this an unknown "troll" attempting to fan the flames of
local controversy or is this actually Mr. Sanger (perhaps unwisely)
using an old account at Bomis?

Hopefully, the reference information included will be useful
in clarifying the matter for any internet wizards among us.
I still have copies of the original files if those would be
more useful.

I can be reached, as indicated above, at this address:
mri_icboise at surfbest.net

I would prefer public dialogue via this list as I
feel this pertains to "public" policy.

regards, mirwin