[Wikipedia-l] Easton's Bible Dictionary

Jan Hidders hidders at uia.ua.ac.be
Fri Aug 9 14:19:11 UTC 2002

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 03:58:16PM +0200, Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Toby Bartels wrote:
>
> > This means that I'm coming out against Neil's plan entirely.
> > As I mentioned under the last heading, his intentions were good,
> > but the plan itself, not just the execution, was IMO flawed.
> > If we want to use the EBD to write Biblically themed articles,
> > then that's great, and I don't expect Neil to do it all himself,
> > but we should set up a Bible article writing group to do it,
> > with human editing for each entry before it appears (in the [[:]] namespace).
>
> I agree. The automatic committing of articles from out dated works should stop.

I agree with Daniel and Toby here. Wikipedia is not in a big rush and
quality should go before quantity. It is great that there are such resources
out there that we can copy from, but automatically pumping them into
Wikipedia means that the natural responsibility that writers take for
correctness, NPOV-ness, et cetera, is no longer there. Even if I would copy
stuff from such resources I would still verify such things because I am putting it
in Wikipedia under my name.

-- Jan Hidders