[Wikipedia-l] Link Syntax

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu
Fri Aug 9 13:21:01 UTC 2002

Jaap van Ganswijk wrote in part:

>table border=1
>  tr
>    td width=50%
>      - text for entry00
>    td
>      - text for entry01
>  tr
>    td
>      - text for entry10
>    td
>      - text for entry11

>table border=1
>  row
>    - text for entry00
>    - text for entry01
>  row
>    - text for entry10
>    - text for entry11

>table border=1
>  ^ text for entry00 ^ text for entry01
>  ^ text for entry10 ^ text for entry11

Seeing these 3 (of out myriads) possibilities next to each other,
the middle one jumps out at me as clearly the best.
Unlike the others, it's easy to read what things mean.
None of this incomprehensible HTMLish gobbledygook like "tr",
and none of this incomprehensible wikiish gobbledygook like "^".
Anybody that sees it for the first time knows what it is and why,
and anybody can reproduce it with very little learning curve.

It just needs something to distinguish it from
what the same syntax already means in our own wiki,
and which somebody might reasonably want to put on a page.
That means *one* wiki symbol -- which might well be <table></table>.

(You may assume that I have just made similar comments
about all of the other table proposals.)

-- Toby Bartels
   <toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu>