[Wikipedia-l] Edit Wars

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Wed Aug 7 06:24:56 UTC 2002

>Perhaps a "draft" or "proposed revision" page could be added
>where proposed changes could be seen and revised.   When a change
>has acquired a defined threshold of approval then it automatically
>occurs.
>
>If Helga's (or 24s or mirwin's or some other unpopulist) perspective
>cannot attain the threshold then they would automatically remain
>on the draft page until rewritten to a form acceptable to
>sufficient others.

The last thing we need is layers of goddamned bureaucracy. "24" was
banned, when it comes right down to it, because Jimbo said so, and
I frankly was happy about it because he did nothing but regurgitate
megabytes of incoherent drivel and took up the valuable time of those
who are trying to make something here.  That's not a point of view,
that's vandalism of the process, and subversion of the project.  I
don't know that there was ever any suggestion of banning you, or Ed
Poor, or anyone else around here just because they're "unpopular".
Give us credit for a little personal integrity.  Anyone with any
point of view is welcome here, and always has been, and always will
be--it takes people with different points of view working together
to produce some of the good work we've produced here.  It is only
those who actively subvert that process and get in the way of the
work that we would consider taking action against.  And when that
happens, it should be done by those whom we have entrusted to make
this process work, and we should stand up and take responsibility
for it.  If that makes us a cabal, then dammit we're a cabal, and
should be.  If someone doesn't like that, the database dump and the
software are there for downloading--let him start his own, and see
if that democratic nonsense will fly in the real world.