[Wikipedia-l] How idiot-proofed is the 'move' feature?

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Tue Aug 6 02:05:44 UTC 2002

>> Does it give you any warning if you try to replace a current
>> page when you rename another one with the same title? Or does
>> it just quietly overwrite it? If so, then it's a very dangerous
>> feature to have available to the general public...

Move is not destructive; it will fail with an error message if the
destination page already exists or is an illegal title.  I also
just fixed one remaining bug in the way it updated the link tables,
so I don't see much reason to restrict it anymore.  It is, however,
still a fairly drastic move since it changes a lot of stuff at once
and creates links to redirects, so it should probably still be
restricted to logged in users at least.

> I move that if B is a redirect to A, and you move A to B, the
> software exchange the two pages.

Can't do it--you have to move A to X, delete A, move B to A, delete
B, move X to B, delete X.