[Wikipedia-l] Need of content (was: What a wiki table syntax...)

Jeroen Heijmans j.heijmans at stud.tue.nl
Sun Aug 4 18:35:00 UTC 2002

"Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen" <daniel at copyleft.no> wrote:

 > I just can't see how you reach this conclusion. Nothing exudes
knowledge like
 > pure content, without bells and whistles, color and flash.

 > Why not apply our own standards on style and layout as well? Because
there is
 > simply no need for this! Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, not a
Powerpoint slide!
 > And because once you open up colors and layout it _will_ be abused.
People
 > _will_ use colors to encode content (see the periodic table), which
means we
 > _will_ lose the ability to transfer cleanly to other media (such as
voice or
 > print).

Though bells and whistles may be wrong, adding structure and colours may be
very useful, _especially_ for an encyclopedia. I use an encyclopedia to look
up information. Therefore, I don't (always) quickly want to read through an
enourmous amout of data. A table with the animal kingdom to which this
species
belongs is a very quick way to find referenc information, and so is a
coloured
elements table with specific groups easily identifiable. I wouldn't even
consider
buying a plain text encyclopedia in my bookstore, would you?

As for the need to transfer to other formats: printed text can contain
colour as
well (or gray-shades, for that matter) and one can talk rather
colourfully ;-)
But seriously, if other formats were an issue at all, conversion should
take care
of this.

 > In addition, as has been mentioned here again and again, layout and
styling
 > will complicate markup, and this will scare away writers - and
writers are more
 > important than readers.

Are they? Well, I certainly hope the article I write are read!
Otherwise, I'll be
gone soon. Of course, we need writers, but I think we'll only scare away the
vandals, and not those really willing to contribute. There's a learning
curve,
but new editors are coming in all the time, and most people understand
that adding
in a complex structure takes some time to learn - and they do.

Adding one consistent style to a group of articles will in fact make it
easier for
editors to work with them, since you can copy from other examples. The
benefit for
the reader should be obvious, I think.

 > Another thing I already find quite upsetting is the tendency to use right
 > aligned "floating" tables. What is the use of this? It disociates the
table
 > from the page, making it much more difficult for an alternate
rendering agent
 > to determine where to put it (when to read it out aloud, for instance).

You will notice that many of these tables contain rather factual
information that is
rather difficult to put in an article in a good running text (often the
country
article, f.e. contained a group of sentences like: "The capital is X.
The king is Y.
There are Z inhabitants." etc.). Nevertheless, these facts are sometimes
the only
thing people are interested in.

The entire idea of such tables is not new; many encyclopedias in print
also use
them.

 > But please, can't you all see that this is the road to disaster?

No, I can't.

Jeroen Heijmans