[Wikipedia-l] External use of main wiki uploads

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Thu Aug 1 01:53:11 UTC 2002

To my international friends, let me first say that I haven't
forgotten you, and upgrading the international wikis is high on my
agenda (see, for example, http://www.piclab.com/wikitest/wiki.phtml ,
which is the new software in German, courtesy of Magnus Manske.)

But, it's a slow process. In the meantime, I'd like to ask that those
of you who handle the policy and instruction pages on the active
international wikis please make it a written policy, and try to
enforce, that if you upload a file for use by a foreign wiki, make a
note of that on the image description page.  That way, we'll know not
to delete it as an orphan, and we'll have a better idea what needs to
get copied over when we do install the new software (after which e'll
have to separate the image directories).

I'm not quite ready to solicit translations yet (there is still a
feature or two I want to add first), but those of you who think you
may be taking on the translation task might want to browse the new
code base (see http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net ) and compare the
files "Language.php" and "LanguageDe.php" to see what needs to be
done and estimate the work (Magnus did it a couple of days).