[Wikipedia-l] Collection copyrights

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Mon Apr 29 17:33:02 UTC 2002

Hi Axel!

> Just a quick clarification on collection copyrights: if you put
> together a collection of materials, then you acquire a copyright in
> your particular presentation of the collection, not in the materials
> of the collection themselves.

Okay, but my question is: Does Bomis put together a collection of the
articles, actively? I mean, Jimbo doesn't say: Okay, we'll take this
article, it's good quality, but I'll keep that one out because it's
complete nonsense (like a Linux distributor does).

You could perhaps say we all own the collection copyright (because
everybody decides if an article is good or so bad that it should be
edited/replaced/deleted). Or a collection copyright doesn't exist for
Wikipedia, because it's just a source out of which people could create
collections (e.g. printed encyclopedias).

But that's more my sense of justice than a funded knowing of the legal
facts.

Bye,
Kurt