[Wikipedia-l] Source texts

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Fri Apr 19 09:03:09 UTC 2002

> > What (if anything) is the present consensus on including (short) PD
texts in
> > the 'pedia.  I'm thinking of
> > http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Yes,_Virginia,_there_is_a_Santa_Claus
> > http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal
>
> This is not an answer to your question, just a reflexion: At some
> point, the titles of such texts will "pollute" the name space of
> Wikipedia.  For example, should [[The Raven]] be the poem and
> [[Raven]] be a description of the bird?  Should [[U.S. Constitution]]
> be a text about the constitution or the text of the constitution?
> To some extent, titles of works are a namespace of their own.

How about adding (source text) behind them, like [[Grundgesetz
(Quellentext)]] in the German WP. I don't know what the benefit of a
separate namespace would be, but it will not hurt either.

I don't think a protection is needed for these text, it would be enough
to make them a bit more eye catching on the RecentChanges page, so that
it doesn't take 5 minutes but only 2 until vandalism is restored (just
guessing). And maybe some kind of consensus that editings of these text
have to be explained on Talk: - I'm thinking of translation corrections
here. It should also be possible to wikify the texts.

But I also agree that WP isn't the right place to store large texts - at
the moment.

Bye,
Kurt