[Wikipedia-l] RE: Further replies

Larry Sanger lsanger at nupedia.com
Sun Apr 14 17:22:28 UTC 2002

Just as I was about to sign off, I see this from Mark Christensen.
Apologies, but I can't let this go unanswered: I certainly do not want it
to be thought generally that I am willing to abuse the list for irrational
personal reasons.

> From: Mark Christensen <mchristensen at HTEC.com>
> I for one don't appreciate this list being used to make personal attacks.

I disagree that it was properly characterizable as "a personal attack."
*Trolls* would certainly want to call the naming and shaming of trolls
"personal attacks" of course; but that implies that the purpose of the
post would be *merely* to vent spleen, and not naming and shaming.  That
is not the case here.  I am motivated by a *very* strong desire to see
that trolls be treated properly, viz., as trolls; I know, from long
experience (before Wikipedia was ever thought of), that if given proper
attention and respect, trolls can inflict considerable damage to a
community.  The first step is to name and shame the trolls.  If you
disagree that a person in question is a troll, that is your prerogative;
but you should not accuse *me* of engaging in mere personal attacks,
because that implies that *we could all agree* there were no more to it
than that.  Obviously, we cannot all agree that there is more to it than
that.

> I don't know what exactly you are trying to do by making accusations
> about Cunctator, and frankly I don't care.  I just don't want to see
> this stuff on the list.

I respect your right to give your opinion on that subject.  Given my
position, I obviously must think you are misled, however.

OK, as I said, I'm done here.  Mark, if you want, please have the last
word.

Larry