[Wikipedia-l] a couple of pages to delete

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Apr 13 03:03:47 UTC 2002

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Brion L. VIBBER wrote:
> > > - Bipolar disorder/An older, deprecated, version of this page [now a
> > > redirect, but nobody's going to want to type all that into their
> > > browser!]
> > > - Harry Potter/Quidditch [moved to Quidditch (Harry Potter)]
> > > - Harry Potter/broom [still has info but totally irrelevant and
> > > duplicated in the Quidditch entry]
> >
> > Personally, I would really, REALLY, prefer that these kinds of pages be
> > made redirects, *not* deleted outright.
>
> I agree.  One of the cardinal rules of good web practice is to try not
> to break old urls if people may still be using them somehow.

OK... so NOTHING ever gets deleted EVER... I won't bother trying to
suggest it then. BTW that first page title is the ACTUAL PAGE TITLE...
nobody's going to search for that or link to that! Are they?????

What happens when you run out of room for new entries because there are
a million useless redirects clogging up the database? And how about when
you do a search and you get 100 entries, but 59 of them are merely
redirects? Also how about the redirects that take you to a redirect
which redirects you some place else? Surely it would be simpler and
easier to be able to clear away some of the debris and to just have
ONE... I think that all of these trails of redirects are making the
project appear less professional and less useful than it might.

If you really want to keep all of this useless garbage then I'd suggest
you need to find a way to keep the redirects OUT of search results
because it's making them look like a mess, and much harder to actually
use.

Actually, in an ideal world the search routine would have options - so
you could search just headers, or just bodies or both, and choose terms
to include/exclude to help get the result you were looking for.

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/