[Wikipedia-l] question(s) about article headers...

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Wed Apr 10 23:56:19 UTC 2002

I've tried to work it out but I'm still a bit confused, so I've got a
couple of questions that maybe you can help me with.

The search engine on the wikipedia rejects punctuation, so does that
mean that for best search results we should leave it out of entry
titles?
eg. There was no entry for 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'
until I made one, but there was an entry already there for 'Harry Potter
and the Philosophers Stone' without the [correct] apostrophe. Which one
should be the main article and which one should be the redirect?

If I want to make a sub-page for a topic, say 'Possums', what's the
protocol for naming it? I see a lot of entries have used backslashes,
but I read that the slashes don't mean anything anymore. I'm confused!
Just say I wanted to make subpages on possum dietary requirements, how
to keep possums as pets, and how possums breed. [not that I know
anything about possums, but it's an example that came to mind.]

And, lastly, if I wanted to break my user: page up into subpages with
projects I'd like to do on one page and projects I've already started on
another, what should I call it? I'm getting confused. I looked at the
FAQ and help pages but I didn't really understand their explanation... I
got lost at about the point where I was told to use brackets to make
categories more logical.

And about those brackets, which subject header would be more correct -
lime, fruit lime/fruit or lime (fruit). I've seen entry titles using all
three formats.

Thanks in advance!

Karen

--