[Wikipedia-l] FYI, Baha'i

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Apr 10 21:33:41 UTC 2002

Without any actual knowledge, I think it reasonable to suppose that
Manning Bartlett is not a Baha'i of any kind.  By "lot more of us than
you", I think he was referring to the Wikipedia community, er,
"regular participants" as 24 would prefer I say.

I will respond to this fellow, and seek your counsel.

I have omitted identifying details of the person who wrote me.

The essential facts, in case you don't feel like reading all of this:

66.219.221.xxx is a member of the "Orthodox" Baha'i religion.  This is
a small splinter group from the main Baha'i faith.  The exact size is
a matter of some dispute.  '66' claims that the larger sect engages in
extreme shunning of the smaller sect, and that they are attempting to
suppress information on the wikipedia.  '66' suspects (incorrectly,
I'm pretty sure) that Manning Bartlett is a Baha'i who is trying to
marginalize him.

Someone, 'Rabo', apparently wrote to a Baha'i newsgroup seeking
knowledgeable people to help deal with '66'.  '66' feels that this was
yet another attempt to marginalize his group.

This has been long predicted, although I never thought that the Baha'i
faith would be the source of friction.  I thought maybe the
Scientologists would find us, or the anti-Scientologists, and their
decades-long Usenet flamewar would spill over here.

Anyhow, please take a look.  I guess we don't really care about their
religious argument; we only care to make the article(s) NPOV.  But
some of usual techniques (describing the conflict rather than engaging
in the conflict) are perhaps difficult to apply in situations where the
parties are arguing over whether the conflict is important enough to be
described prominently in the main article.

--Jimbo