[Wikipedia-l] Re: A language question

Julie Hofmann Kemp juleskemp at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 9 01:54:20 UTC 2002

Message: 16
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 09:56:32 +1000
From: Karen AKA Kajikit <kaji at labyrinth.net.au>
Subject: [Wikipedia-l] A language question

I am Australian, and so I write my articles using Australian English,
which is pretty much the same as British English... somebody just came
along and re-edited one of my articles, changing most of the terms over
to US English and removing the Australianisms.  I know that most
Americans wouldn't have a clue what a 'milk bar' was, but does that mean
that I should NOT use the term in any of my writing? Australians use the
internet too!

What is the policy on language?

IIRC, the policy on language is that anything's correct as long as it's
consistent usage -- it's the English-language wikipedia, not the
American one.  I'm appalled, frankly.  My personal opinion (as an
American) is that, (since we can't reach out and slap someone), a
comment should be put on the "corrector's"  page and also on the
relevant talk page, gently pointing out that this is a breach of good
manners and that the spellings are perfectly correct.  *I* would also go
back and revert it to the original spelling, just because.  But then I'm
a bit sensitive to Amero-centrism , since I have to spend so much time
in class explaining that there's a whole world outside the US ;-)

Cheers!
JHK
--

Karen AKA Kajikit