[Wikipedia-l] Deletions: cleaning up primary namespace

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at ualberta.ca
Mon Apr 8 23:44:16 UTC 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> You can count my vote for moving them, but like you, I'd like to
> see a consensus on this first.

My vote is to move and then delete all pages from the main namespace that
belong under the user: and wikipedia: namespaces. I described my
philosophy in a talk: page which slips my mind right now (I think it was
the talk page for "pages to be deleted"), but to summarize I think it's
appropriate to be able to browse around randomly inside Wikipedia as an
encyclopedia and not come across any "behind the scenes" scaffolding
unless I actively seek it out. Making sure the user and wikipedia pages
are clearly separated from the main content of the encyclopedia will help
give wikipedia a more "professional" and "finished" flavor, even if it
isn't really. :)

(hope this email makes it through, I've been having a heck of a time
getting the right address subscribed to this mailing list...)

--
Bryan Derksen (bderksen at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
http://www.ualberta.ca/~bderksen/