[Wikipedia-l] 24 is driving me nuts

Daniel Lee Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 8 02:01:13 UTC 2002

<rant>

24's (User:24.150.61.63) activities are beginning to become a real nuisance.
He/she continues to create new entries that really appear to be idiosyncratic
nonsense that Google consistently only can find a handfull of examples of.
The terms that 24 comes up up, and then creates articles about seem to be
used by a very small group of like-minded people.

For example: military fiat (his/her term for military control over a monetary
system) = 160 hits, verbal rape = 136 hits, social rape = 99 hits, Earth rape
= 95 hits, eco-rape = 97 hits. Given the fact that Google tracks literally
billions of webpages, such a small number can easily be explained by chance.

24 also created [[wikipedia:Natural Point of View]] as some type of
replacement of NPOV, makes other articles that are improperly capitalized,
such as [[Green Movement]], after he/she is made aware of naming conventions,
he/she also makes improperly pluralized pages such as [[Eco-villages]]
knowing about that policy etc.,  etc., etc., etc. A partial list of what 24
has been up to is on [[Wikipedia utilities/Pages needing attention]].

Frankly, I am sick of having to be drawn into discussion with this person and
clean of his/her messes. By posting these idiosyncratic articles and ideas on
wikipedia this person is magnifying their exposure and importance beyond what
is warrented by the number (and arguably quality) of people who actually
believe this stuff.

An analogy, would be a news agency that is more concerned with making news
than reporting it. Should wikipedia become a place where crackpots can air
their views and gain unwarranted exposure? Should we be in the business of
legitimizing terms and definitions that Google can only find a small handfull
of examples of? Do we want wikpedia to become a soapbox?

24's activities are similar to what User:QIM has done with his Masculism
article - except 24 is truly prolific in the amount of material that he/she
is submitting (and at least "Masculism" gets about a 1000 hits - mostly
emails and personal pages though). I do believe that 24 is harming the
project - at the very least this person is causing unproductive angst among
longtimes users. The actions of this person is probably also giving visitors
and newbies the wrong idea about the project.

Don't get me wrong, I am not indicating that the merit of a term is not to be
solely based on the number of hits on Google. However, when the content or
title itself is questionable, surprising or really not at all NPOV (that's
neutral point of view, not natural point of view), then Google can be used as
some sort of objective measure of merit.

I think it is time to warn 24 to cease many of the above activities.

</rant>

user:maveric149