[Wikipedia-l] Suggestion for policy

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk at mira.net
Fri Apr 5 12:03:33 UTC 2002

On Fri, 05 Apr 2002 07:59:40 lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:
> Yes, he is very annoying--all the more so because he's
> obviously well-educated and therefore hard to dismiss as
> an ordinary crackpot.  He hasn't been too terribly
> destructive.  He just cranks out reams and reams of
> subjectivist rants with quality inversely proportionate
> to their quantity.  But one or two sentences out of every
> page he writes actually has some interesting insight worth
> keeping, and he does put up with my abuse pretty well, so
> I haven't yet been tempted to suggest any action.

He's driving me nuts...

> Besides, his anonymity will always serve to minimize his
> credibility, so he'll lose a lot of arguments on those
> grounds alone.  I know I've suggested in the past that
> perhaps only logged-in users should be allowed to edit,
> but I think I'm more inclined to leave things as they are,
> and just have a social norm here that anonymous editors
> should simply suffer the consequences to the credibility
> and lose arguments by default.

I consider it quite rude that whomever it is doesn't do us
the courtesy of registering even a nom de plume and clearly
label his points on the talk pages.  It makes having a discussion
with him/her/it a PITA as you can't immediately distinguish
who is saying what.

Is it time to make it wikipedia policy that you should sign
your posts on talk pages?

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk at mira.net

Go You Big Red Fire Engine
-- Unknown Audience Member at Adam Hills standup gig