[Wikipedia-l] Making Wikipedia even more international

lsanger at nupedia.com lsanger at nupedia.com
Fri Sep 28 22:56:48 UTC 2001

Beginning next Tuesday (when Jason Richey returns from a weekend
vacation), we are going to be taking the non-English Wikipedias more
seriously:

1. We'll be setting up non-English Wikipedias for all the other major
languages (including many we've omitted).

2. We'll be actively seeking out translations of the main text (e.g., the
GNU license notice), and uploading the translations. I.e., we will
proactively goes to Wikipedia-L, to the individual non-English Wikipedias,
and perhaps also to specific individuals, requesting the text and
promising to upload it immediately upon receipt.

3. We will soon (probably today) set up a non-English Wikipedia
standards mailing list, which would explain set basic standards that we
would like all Wikipedias to follow (think of it as the UN).  Since the
English language Wikipedia should exemplify the same standards, whatever
they are, we could very plausibly call this the "international Wikipedia
forum" or something like that.

Larry