[Wikipedia-l] Thoemmes Press

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Nov 1 22:26:13 UTC 2001

Thoemmes Press, a British publisher of dictionaries and works on
philosophy (on paper and online), just posted this surprise in their
newsletter, to which I subscribe.  It might be interesting for
wikipedians to check out.

Yes, they are commercial.  I have no affiliation with them.  It is not
my intent to spam the wikipedia list.  I honestly think this would be
interesting to many of you.  And I do think it is related to Wikipedia.

> ------------------------
> Free - Online Encyclopedia
> ------------------------
>
> An online bibliographic data source containing entries on both minor and
> major philosophical figures from the 16th century to the present day, which
> we are delighted to offer FREE to all our users.
>
> November's new entries include:
>
> AMES, William (Latin name Guilielmus Amesius: 1576-1633)
> ANNET, Peter (1693-1769)
> BINNING, Hugh (1627-53)
> BROWNE, Peter (1664/5-1735)
> BURKE, Edmund (1729-97)
> CUDWORTH, Ralph (1617-88)
> HOOKER, Richard (1554-1600)
> KAMES, Henry Home, Lord (1696-1782)
> SWIFT, Jonathan (1667-1745)
> WOLLSTONECRAFT, Mary (later Godwin: 1759-97)
>
> To subscribe to this service, please visit
> http://www.thoemmes.com/encyclo.htm

OK, it requires registration, it is not copyright-free, the user
interface stinks, it isn't hypertext, and you cannot contribute, but
the few articles that are in there actually aren't too bad.  And the
URLs to individual articles are clean and nice:

    http://www.thoemmes.com/encyclopedia/ames.htm
    http://www.thoemmes.com/encyclopedia/burke.htm
    http://www.thoemmes.com/encyclopedia/home.htm

--