[Wikipedia-l] Copyright problem

Jimmy Wales jwales at aristotle.bomis.com
Fri Feb 9 02:18:33 UTC 2001

Someone had posted a copyrighted article into the 'wolf' category.
I deleted it, please see the discussion at 'WolF'.

For now, I just deleted it by removing all the text, but of course
the copyrighted material is still on our server in the revision history.
That will go away after 14 days, as I understand it, but I will also
try to figure out how to make it go away sooner.

I'm not too worried about this for the future.  Legally, it isn't likely
to be a huge problem.  We just need to instill a very strong social norm
on the wikipedia that copyright violations will not be tolerated.