[Wikipedia-l] New toys at the PHP script test site

Magnus Manske Magnus.Manske at epost.de
Sat Dec 22 16:17:22 UTC 2001

Here's my Christmas present for you all: New features for the PHP script to
come!

Probably the most important one is the "interlanguage" feature. Just for
German right now, but is can be easily extended for other languages as well.
I set up an example at
http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/fpw/wiki.phtml?title=Vikings where I added
"[[de:Wikinger]]" to the text (it doesn't matter where the link is within
the text). Now, I have the "de" namespace internally defined as a language
namespace, going to the German wikipedia. The "de:" link is NOT displayed
within the text, but in the article header, as you can see. The "Deutsch"
link goes straight to the "Wikinger" article in the German wikipedia.

This is only the first step. As I explained elsewhere, once all wikipedias
are changed to the PHP script, these links can be collected automatically
(say, each day or each week), and ensure all existing language versions are
interlinked properly.

Another toy is the "contributions" link on every user page. Try mine, for
example, at
http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/fpw/wiki.phtml?title=user:Magnus_Manske.
The "This user's contributions" link at the top goes to a page with a list
of all articles I ever edited, according to the database. (These are only
the edits I did on the test site, of course).

Finally, a minor thing : On Recent Changes, all edits that were made
anonymously have the IP marked in red; as most vandals don't have a user
name, it might be of advantage to spot every anonymous edit easily.

Don't get run over by a reindeer, (why don't we have a [[reindeer]] article
on the 'pedia???)
Magnus