[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia Real Time Chat

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Dec 9 02:15:24 UTC 2001

> I think this is really great.  I think it would get more traffic if
> there was a java interface.

Hi Jim,

I don't think a Java solution is necessary, IRC clients are available for
all platforms (Mozilla even has one built in). These have the advantage of
being more feature-rich and easy-to-use than their jJva-equivalents. From my own
experience, I would assume that the channel will slowly get larger over time
without much external intervention, but if a quicker growth is desired,
placing a link to Wikipedia Chat  in the menu bar (Home Page | Recent Changes ..)
should suffice; some additional instructions for setting up IRC might be
desirable.

I'm sure there are several Java-applets capable of connecting to a
parametrizable IRC server / channel, though.

Regards,

Erik

http://www.gmx.net