[Wikipedia-l] Wiktionary

Larry Sanger lsanger at nupedia.com
Thu Apr 19 20:25:23 UTC 2001

In haste...

I've explained on Wikipedia how I regard the difference between a dictionary
and an encyclopedia is, and that there is good reason, not founded merely in
paper, for the distinction.  Mere assertions to the contrary are not
persuasive.

However, I do think that it's an interesting idea to find some *consistent*
way to mark all mere dictionary-type entries in Wikipedia.  I think that
could be a good way to solve the problem I raised on Wikipedia about the
difference between an encyclopedia and a dictionary.

Obviously, as I said, I can't be responsible for this project.  :-)  If it
happens, unless Jimbo specifically asks me to do it, I won't be the one to
make the executive decisions.

Larry