[Wikipedia-l] Wiktionary

rose.parks at att.net rose.parks at att.net
Tue Apr 17 21:49:03 UTC 2001

Hi,

     I am wondering what the purpose of a wiki
dictionary is. A dictionary normally gives
the "standard" definition of a word, based on a great
deal of research, the pronunciation, using that
dictionaries own guide, an etymology in some
dictionaries, and examples of usage, in some
dictionaries.
    Are we in a position to determine "standard" usage
and, if so, on what basis?
    There are numerous online dictionaries with good
reputations. What can we do to improve on this?
     Is this a place to "dump" entries that are
definitional and no more?

          As Ever,

             Ruth Ifcher