[Wikinews-l] Request update on ETA of answers to Project INDECT ethical questions for ACC Drew Harris of PSNI (was: RE: : indect request)

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Sun Jan 31 11:58:21 UTC 2010

Mr Devlin,

It is now nearly a full month since I submitted the below questions for
Assistant Chief Constable Drew Harris of the PSNI. A PDF copy is also
attached to refresh your memory.

Elected officials within the European institutions are making noises
concerning citizens' privacy that, while related more to corporate abuse
of personal data, would seem to apply equally - if not moreso - to a
massive Internet and real-world surveillance and data-acquisition system
for law enforcement and intelligence services use.

which answers would be forthcoming, you talked of the distribution of
these questions to others; you did not respond to my followup query as
to who these questions were distributed to, nor to my concern about who
outside the EU may be involved in Project INDECT work.

I am sure you are, by now, aware of the earlier report I published in
October [1], and the German translation [2]. I have, since initially
submitting my questions, been brought up to speed on developments at the
University of Wuppertal by investigative journalists with Germany's
public broadcaster. This included pointing me at the coverage published
by Telepolis [3], [4], [5], [6].

In addition to this, I have several academics, albeit reluctant to go on
the record, who are quite clear on the point that, any respectable
university involving themselves in INDECT research, with a senior police
officer as head of the Ethics Board, is in breach of the
near-universally accepted ethical review standards relating to academic
research without subject consent or where a possible breach of privacy
has taken place. I have received photographic evidence of such breaches
in progress; namely, Polish researchers installing computerised
data-acquisition devices in an apparently normal GATSO speed camera.

I have sufficient information from the below links, other published
reports subsequent to Wikinews', my own deep-web research into involved
researchers' university web presences, and comments on the dubious
legality of the proposed system, to produce a fairly damning article.
This is unreasonable without a right to reply, the attached questions
were intended as such.

It would be most reassuring to know if you actually intend to provide
honest, non-evasive, answers to my questions in short order (i.e. before
Friday coming). Or, that such will not be provided and I should go
ahead, publish, and provide full copies of my notes to the German public
broadcaster. On the latter point, it is simply a matter of time until
they collate the same information as I have and reach similar
conclusions.

[1] http://enwn.net/0718
[2] http://enwn.net/3F261
[3] http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/31/31176/1.html
[4] http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/31/31425/1.html
[5] http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/31/31802/1.html
[6] http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/31/31855/1.html

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>|http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil
Content of this message in no way represents the opinions or official position