[Wikinews-l] Weather bot

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 10:43:59 UTC 2009

I finally made a weather bot according to my wishes. Its characteristics are:

* It gathers information from wund.com, but it is possible to make
plugins for other sites and protocols.
* It may gather data from all over the world.
* It may be localized in any language.

The only problem is that one iteration takes at least 5-7 minutes just
for weather in Serbia and just for Wikinews in Serbian. Probably, I
would be able to run enough of instances for covering weather in
Serbia for all Wikinews editions (or, questionable, to run enough of
instances to cover the whole world for sr.wn). That means that I'll
need your help (people who are able to run bots as cron jobs), so we
may cover the whole world for all Wikinews editions.

My other ask is related to programming the bot. I prefer to make the
bot as a collaborative work because it is not reasonable to expect
maintenance of one relatively huge project by just one person. I may
make subversion repository at SourceForge (or at one of the servers in
the company where I am working). If anyone of you are willing to join
me, let me know that. Also, all other ideas are welcome.

You may see its output here [1] (in Serbian).

[1] - http://sr.wikinews.org/wiki/%D0%92%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B8:%D0%92%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B5/%D0%95%D0%B2%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BF%D0%B0/%D0%A1%D1%80%D0%B1%D0%B8%D1%98%D0%B0