[Wikimedia ZA] Draft Documents for Wikimedia ZA chapter

Ian Gilfillan wikimediaza at greenman.co.za
Wed Oct 20 00:35:55 UTC 2010

  As pointed out before, we still need to fill a few holes to keep the
process on track.

Who are the founding members?
- According to our draft, founding members are those "who agree to pay
such annual subscription as shall be determined by the board of
directors", so that it seems founding members cannot be chosen until
after the directors have been decided, and then met and determined this
fee, if any. This is a bit of a Catch-22, especially as this comes
before the mention of directors.

- I'd like to see the founding members spread as widely as possible, and
to be as inclusive as possible. So anyone that expresses an interest can
be a founding member. Most chapters have a nominal fee, as the aim is to
be inclusive (the UK has £5/year for example), and we certainly want
something similar here. I suggest R10 a year. So, if there are no
objections to this, in essence, the founding members would be anyone who
shows enough enthusiasm for the process to commit to paying R10 a year
before the final version of the document is put together.

- While there are no expectations on members to do anything, the initial
directors will bear more responsibility in getting the fledgling chapter
off the ground, and will need to be able to commit time and energy to
the role. Before we decide how many positions, or what roles, I'd like
to get an idea of who is willing to stand as a director. If you want to
stand, please mail me. If you want to suggest someone else, discuss it
with them and ask them to mail me, or at worst pass their name on to me
and I'll follow up.

Let's set a deadline of next week (Wed Oct 27) to get all the names in,
and we'll take it from there.

--
Ian Gilfillan
www.greenman.co.za