[Wikimedia Kenya] Bylaws: ChapCom's Comments

Asaf Bartov abartov at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 13 20:39:14 UTC 2011

My two cents, just out of personal experience (definitely not a Foundation
position!) --

I think Abbas's suggestion is more practical.  Pick the group of people who
would (collectively) provide the best leadership for WMKE, and let them
figure out what division of labor within the board makes sense to them.  My
experience in NGOs (I have founded 2 and been a board member in 4) is that
that is the best way to get good results.

Cheers,

   Asaf

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Limoke Oscar <oslimoke at gmail.com> wrote:

> Abbas,
> I think someone would vie for a post s/he thinks he can comfortably
> serve.I mean I wouldnt say vie for a secretary if am not
> interestde.Let someone choose a position s/he thinks he is in a
> position to serve.
> Another drawback is that how would the 'creme de le creme' decide
> amongst themselves who should be chair,vice ans staff?wouldn't this
> cause some cold blood and tension among themselves?
>
> On 7/13/11, Abbas Mahmood <abbasjnr at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Oscar,
> >
> >> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 19:37:57 +0300
> >> From: oslimoke at gmail.com
> >> To: wikimediake at lists.wikimedia.org
> >> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia Kenya] Bylaws: ChapCom's Comments
> >

> >> About Electing the Board,members should be electing a position
> >> based.i.e electing X for the post of Chairperson and so forth....
> >
> > Erm, I think this type of method has a disadvantage: for instance, 5
> people
> > vie for the Chairperson seat and maybe only 1 person vies for the
> Secretary
> > post; definitely, the Secretary will get elected; since (s)he has no
> > competitor, and maybe out of the 4 that lost the Chair's seat, one of
> them
> > could have been a better Board member than the secretary who had won.
> What
> > I'm trying to say is that i think it's better for voters to vote for
> their
> > best top 5 candidates; and the Board members will later on delegate their
> > respective positions themselves. By doing so, we will get the creme de la
> > creme to be on the Board.
> > Abbas.
>

> --
> Limoke Oscar,