[Wikimediaindia-l] WikiProject Offline Wikipedia for Indian Schools: Status Board

Nitika ntandon at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 9 14:01:34 UTC 2012

Hi All,

We are happy to announce that WikiProject Offline Wikipedia for Indian Schools has kicked off with a great start. For OWIS-FULL we want to compile a set of 7000-9000 articles that will fit in a single DVD.

Planned sequence of action is as follows:
Set up the framework for the WikiProject. Done
Select articles for OWIS-FULL, subject-wise. - In progress - Open now for 7 subjects.
Create table & inspect each article carefully for tags, issues and work needed, subject-wise.
Sort out all the article problems, subject-wise.
Submit to a jury for proposed changes eg maps, deletion of inappropriate material etc.
Hand over to tech team which takes articles and compiles them into an offline Wikipedia.
While OWIS-FULL is being prepared, each subject set once completed will be released separately to the environment.

For selecting articles for OWIS we're using articles included in SOS Children's Village Offline Wikipedia as the base articles. From this base we're deleting the articles that we think are not so relevant to Indian students and add articles that are more relevant to them. The aim of this step is to take the existing SOS list and convert it into a balanced set of articles list that will give adequate and balanced exposure to both the aspects - Indian and international, for Indian School students. For this we are also using the syllabus of CBSE 9th to 12th to help us identifdy the school relevant topics that may be missing.

Over 33 volunteers have started narrowing down the list of articles that will be added to OWIS-FULL. We are currently working on following 7 subjects: Arts, Business Studies, IT, Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry. Please refer to the table below to view progress of OWIS in absolute number terms:

Just to understand the table better:
No. of volunteers = Number of Wikipedians volunteered for a particular subject.
No. of articles we want for OWIS = Total number of articles we want to include in Offline Wikipedia for Indian schools per subject
No. of SOS list articles = Total number of articles that were included in SOS Children's Village Offline Wikipedia per subject
No. of articles to be deleted from SOS list for OWIS = Number of articles that have been selected to be deleted from SOS list since they might not be highly relevant to Indian students.
No. of articles to be added to SOS list for OWIS = Number of articles that have been selected to be added to OWIS list since they might be highly relevant to Indian students.
Total no. of articles for OWIS = Total number of articles we have as for now to be included in OWIS.

Special thanks to Swaroop who has made a lot of contributions to Maths & Physics stream, Netha Hussain for Biology, Arnav Chaudhary, User:DebashisM, & User: BPositive for IT. All of them have done great work and contributed in their special way towards this project.  We need more volunteers to start working on Chemistry which is currently lagging behind.  I'd request more of you to step ahead and volunteer for this project either for Chemistry or any other stream that you like as there is so much more to be done. You can get more information about OWIS and volunteer for it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Offline_Wikipedia_for_Indian_Schools

Now we're hoping to complete the 2nd stage in the New Year: Select articles for OWIS-FULL, for these 7 subjects by end January 2012. May we request every-one to pitch in on this most worthwhile task?

Thanks
User:AshLin & Nitika