[Wikimediaindia-l] Wikimedia India: Wikipedia Takes Ahmedabad, January 2012

Sudhanwa Jogalekar sudhanwa.com at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 11:36:05 UTC 2012

Well,
On various other mailing lists, if a person is referred in some cross
reference, it is usually welcome considering that some other like
minded people are also involved in the activities.
However, this is probably the only list where such cross references
are taken as objectionable.

eg. Lets say if Srikanth is mentioned in some mail on a security
mailing list saying that " "Srikanth" was involved in organising and
contributing in some Security event"  and I reply to the thread saying
"it is nice to know my 'Wikipedia' friend is also involved", it will
be appreciated and taken positively as there is a common factor/cross
reference now.

On this list, the scenario is completely different. Looks like
mentioning the FOSS word itself is a bad thing.
And I am not talking about any professional matters here. On such
lists in the given example, there are absolute professionals who are
highly paid and even involved in writing standards. And they
contribute much more voluntarily on those lists and some websites.

Hope you get the point from the example.
/me stopping in this thread.

Regards
-Sudhanwa

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Pradeep Mohandas
<pradeep.mohandas at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> Sudhanwa, Frankly, it is because these professionals do not bandy
> their professions/work around unnecessarily when not needed and not
> central to the conversation.
>
> Thanks Kartik, for the translation. I see you had some trouble getting
> pics of the station. This is strange since people take pics of CST,
> Mumbai without any restriction - even inside it. Strange, that!
>
> Pradeep
> User:Prad2609
>
> On 04/01/2012, Sudhanwa Jogalekar <sudhanwa.com at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmmm
>> I don't know why people are so touchy about FOSS.
>> If I mention "photographer" or "security" or "Media" or "engineer" instead
>> of "FOSS", will the reaction be same?
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
>> parakara.ghoda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Can we stop dragging FOSS into every mail unless absolutely necessary?
>>> just to clarify.
>>> - Roads aren't designed with FOSS.
>>> - Camera firmware isn't FOSS.
>>> - Our brain doesn't have FOSS.
>>> - Bus ticketing isn't FOSS.
>>>

>> Well, Mediawiki and whole lot of other things used for Wikipedia related
>> activities are FOSS.
>> And in general, it is about contributing back to the society so that
>> everybody gets benefitted.  That's what is common in both FOSS as well as
>> Wikimedia.
>>

>>> No offence intended.
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> -Sudhanwa

>> web: www.sudhanwa.com  blog: www.sudhanwa.in
>> Twitter: sudhanwa Check on FB, Linkedin for more.
>>

> --
> Pradeep Mohandas
> How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9