[Wikimediaindia-l] Indian documents abroad on Wikisource?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 18:56:54 UTC 2012

Hoi,
If there is one thing that makes Museums, archives sit up and take notice,
it is when a project is proposed that adds value to their collection. Many
ancient works including documents exist in a GLAM without there being REAL
interest in them. Often because nobody knows the language and sometimes
even because the script used is not supported with fonts or with a
definition for the glyphs in Unicode.

A project with a GLAM scanning documents or publishing photos with texts is
something many Indic projects are well placed to take advantage off. The
Malayalam community regularly transcribes books from scans or photos. They
have published a CD with the work they did in a year.

Given the Malayalam experience and the Marathi ambition any GLAM with a
considerable Indian collection could benefit from a coordinated approach
for the transcription of their material. There may be many languages that
are represented, there may be problems with fonts and scripts but it would
be an awesome project because it straddles the cultural heritage of many
cultures and countries. It will also be wonderful to have a Wiki project
that will be so much a project of multiple Wikimedia communities.

PS my ambition is to do a pilot project with the Tropenmuseum. It would be
about the Batak languages and one fringe benefit that is key to me
personally would be the creation of the first Unicode font for the Batak
script. The Batak live in Sumatra, Indonesia.
Thanks,
     GerardM