[Wikimediaindia-l] Copyright Violations by (some) Students: Wikipedia India Education Program

Hisham Mundol hmundol at wikimedia.org
Mon Sep 12 13:23:16 UTC 2011

On Sep 12, 2011, at 4:47 PM, Theo10011 wrote:

>  I am not sure if "Intellectual honesty" means ethics in this context but I would disagree if that is what WMF and other Wikipedians would be concerned about, it's really the legal liability that they expose WMF and projects to. Maybe Hisham can clarify.

To be fair, the actions taken were in in the context that this is an education program - and it's important that the benefits that students can accrue - of stronger research, better writing and improved critical thinking skills - are actually realized by students.  This is what we are trying to encourage.  Copy-pasting will not add any value to students.

> I am well aware of your position as a open-source book publisher and a Creative commons hero along with someone I respect, that was why I found your position very surprising on this issue.
>
> Also, Hi Hisham, Nice to see you avoided replying to my comment alone. ;)

Hello Theo!  I shall shortly make amends for this remiss...