[Wikimediaindia-l] Supporting the languages of India

Bala Jeyaraman sodabottle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:53:03 UTC 2011

+1 with Ravi

*For example, a year back a wrong proposal was sent to Unicode consortium
that wanted Grantha script being encoded in Unicode but at the expense of
damaging Tamil language in long term.

*The incident Ravi mentions came about because of a similar situation -
faulty understanding by external organisations that failed to consult with
native language communities. Led to months long discussions, wasting
everyone's time - just because the unicode consortium didnt pause to check
with the stakeholder community.

*Language in India and a citizen's involvement with his language is
complex, diverse and many times unusual or interesting.*

+1 to this too. In India where various hues of linguistic nationalism are
dominant (especially in the south for languages like Tamil) and language
heritage is long and linguistic pride is fierce, a WMF blogpost with such
words and one that suggests at changing how language should be used has the
potential to turn into a long drawn out and ugly dramafest.  when i said
"burnt in effigy" in the earlier mail, i meant it literally - the passion
that language generates in this part of the world is such.