[Wikimediaindia-l] Sharing insights and experiences from Indian language wikipedias - Assamese

Shiju Alex shiju at wikimedia.org
Wed Nov 23 12:23:27 UTC 2011

Dear Indic Wikimedia Community members,

As part of the Indic Languages initiative of India
Programs<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_-_India_Programs/Indic_Languages>,
I have been having detailed discussions with a wide range of Indic language
wikipedians for the past few weeks.  These discussions have been to build
the understanding, provide insight, and explore opportunities to expand
Indic language projects.  The end result of these discussions is to help
identify language communities with whom we can collaboratively design
pilots to drive our projects.

These discussions have been conducted on IRC, one-on-one, group voice
conversations, as well as through email questionnaires.

Over the next few days, I am going to share a series of these with you.
 The intention is to give you a sense of the kind of perspectives that
exist within the overall Indic community, to share ideas and to generate
discussion on potential ideas. Please note that I have edited the
discussions to preserve confidentiality as well as to remove any
particularly personal comments that might have been shared.

Please do let me have your views on these discussions and do please join
the debate on the talk page or on this mailing list or offline to me.

For today, I am sharing the discussions with the *Assamese
community<http://as.wikipedia.org>
*.  The summary of this discussion is placed at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_-_India_Programs/Indic_Languages/Assamese/Discussions/2011

Assamese wikipedia community is a tiny but vibrant community - that is
slowly building itself.  There is huge opportunity given that Assamese is
spoken by more than 1.3 crore people. As we all know, there was not much
progress in Assamese wiki community till recently. But now the situation is
slowly changing after the arrival of few dedicated users.  And in this
early stage, Assamese community show very promising potential. I remember
discussing the importance of preparing a small FAQ in AS Wiki to help the
new users. In no time few community members prepared a good FAQ
page<http://as.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%E0%A6%B8%E0%A6%A4%E0%A6%A4%E0%A7%87_%E0%A6%89%E0%A6%A6%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%A4_%E0%A6%B9%E0%A7%8B%E0%A7%B1%E0%A6%BE_%E0%A6%AA%E0%A7%8D%E0%A7%B0%E0%A6%B6%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%A8%E0%A6%B8%E0%A6%AE%E0%A7%82%E0%A6%B9>for
the Assamese wiki. I am sure with the arrival of such dedicated users
Assamese wiki is going to make good progress.

Inviting your  active participation in these discussions (either on talk
page or in this mailing list).

Warm Regards,

Shiju Alex